Friday, September 12, 2008

ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(

This was one of the most traumatizing moments i've had as a parent.
I went for a walk this morning with my friend Susan and her brand new twin babies,
we stopped at the park across the street and played for a bit and then I put Erika back in the stroller and Susan and I were standing there talking.......

Suddenly Megan starts screaming "Mommy, mommy, Erika has a bee in her mouth!!!!!!!"..
My first thought was "Please let her be mistaken....it's a cracker or something! anything but a BEE!"...
I open her mouth, b/c she really does put EVERYTHING in her mouth and there is a huge wasp!!!!!!!!!!!
Erika has the most horrified look on her face and I start screaming! I try to pull it out but he's biting her lip! and he won't let go!!! I start screaming trying to get him out...it took 3 good pulls and I threw him on the ground!
Fearing that she could have an allergic reaction or that her mouth and throat may swell, I whip her out of the stroller and go running full speed home, leaving Susan and Megan behind...
My heart is racing and i'm feeling SO scared..as I run up the stairs to unlock the door, I see Erika is trying to put her fist in her mouth and I see the STINGER! a HUGE one at that, stuck in her finger ...a big red hole where he stung her! so I pulled it out and ran inside. I frantically grabbed the baking soda and mixed a paste and started putting it on her finger. I called my mom, first instinct, and she told me to call the Dr.
Her poor little hand was now totally swollen and the swelling was moving up her arm!!!
the Dr said since she was breathing fine she should be okay. I gave her tylenol and benedryl as per their recommendation...and now she's down for her nap. I felt SO bad though....and her poor little mouth has about 4 bites around it on top of the bee stinging her in her finger.

My poor poor baby. I wasn't kidding when I said she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!
Megan saw the whole thing...the wasp landed on her finger..and Erika took a good look at him and put him straight into her mouth.

7 comments:

Daya said...

Oh my gosh!! Are you doing okay? I can't imagine the massive heart attack moment you must have had. Is Erika okay? Let me know if there is anything I can do!

Linds said...

Wow! I would have had a full on panic attack. Poor baby, and stupid bee. I hope you squished it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH!! You did awesome, everything that you should do in that situation.

My little guy had a similar experience while i was on a class field trip. He GRABBED the Bee/wasp, not sure which one. But i had to pull the stinger out. His poor lil hand swelled up. It was scary, he was only 12 months old if that.

Glad that she is ok.

Jeff and Amy said...

Holy crap, I would have been freaking out!! But you kept it cool and did everything right - probably not how I would have acted, unfortunately. What a good mom you are!

Living Green said...

Ohh, I am so sorry. What a horrible thing to have happened.

The Woolner Family said...

That's freaky. I heard that the first sting there's usually not a reaction, but any sting thereafter they could go into anaphalactic shock. She may be one to watch out for. Especially if her arm swelled up. Good luck with that one. I'm all about everyone having an epi pen.

Shanan said...

holy cow, Nicole! That is one heck of a day at the park! I'm glad you're little one is ok.

Shanan
http://sdurda.wordpress.com