Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bed Time blunders......need ADVICE!

So this week we took the leap to start putting Megan and Erika in the same room at the same time at bedtime. Normally we put Megan in our room til we go to bed and then move her over into her room with Erika.
the first night they were excited and took almost 2hrs to go to sleep.
the rest of the week has been better....usually 30-40min.
HOWEVER, the mornings are getting terrible. Megan is waking up around 6:30am for who knows WHAT reason? ugh....and Erika is gettng VERY overtired.
Last night Megan woke Erika up just as she was falling asleep and then Erika didn't fall asleep until 8:30pm!!! (which is VERY late in this house!).

Megan knows the rule is no coming out of the room or getting up til atleast 7am! she has a clock. This morning at 6:20am I go in and Megan has the LIGHT ON and is saying, "Oh Erika, i'm going to let you sleep in. " YEAH RIGHT! fat chance now! Erika is crying and is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired!

I was seriously FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I told her to get into my bed, among another few choice words and I swear I was shaking I was so mad......i'm now PRAYING I can get Erika back to sleep but chances are unlikely. (Plus, now I'm wide awake at 6:30am and am SO tired and need to work all day! ugh!!)

What do you do???????????? how and WHEN will I get these two to co-habitate without disrupting everyone else? I'm mostly concerned about these mornings...they both need more sleep!!!
I know there are mothers out there who have 2 who have gone through this, so PLEASE give me your advice!

9 comments:

MotherBeck said...

Does Megan have a little light that she could turn on that won't wake Erika? Maybe the night before she could pick out some books or something really quiet to do that won't wake Erika, in her bed until shes allowed to leave the room.... Good Luck!

Alyssa Phair said...

Let me know the solution when you have it! Amelia does the same thing. About every other morning she wakes up and then i can hear her talking to Peryn in her crib. When that happens Peryn just gets and earlier nap. I don't know if an earlier nap is an option for Erika but other than separating them (and the previous suggestion) that's all I can think of in my own home. Amelia will take her books over to Peryn to read to her so she doesn't get the concept of "quiet" and "leave her alone!" :)
-Alyssa

Lacey said...

I know that I only have one so my advice is just what I THINK I would do but we'll see when I get there I guess!

Maybe you could talk to Megan about how important it is for everyone to get their sleepand tell her if she is p befor 7 she needs to take her blanket and quietly go out to theliving room. Practice closing the door quietly during the day so she gets the hang of it, then she can sneek out in the morning with out waking Erika. Leave one of her DVD's in and a little something to eat so she can just hit play (tell her not to change the volum) and eat until everyone is up. As she too becomes overtires she should go back to sleeping a little later but until then I would try something along those lines. That's what my Mom did with us and it worked pretty good. Megan is so smart and I think she's big enough to be up on her own for a bit if she can't sleep. Just a suggestion, hope you find something soon!

Amy said...

It does get better...as long as you set those ground rules. Gwen knows if she wakes up before Chloe she just stays in bed quietly until Chloe wakes up. Usually Chloe wakes up in the mornings before Gwen...and she just quietly comes out of her room and doesn't wake Gwen up.

Those first few days...or even weeks can be rough. It's new and exciting for them. Just know it'll get better once the novelty wears off.

lynz said...

man oh man - wish i had something for you chickee! all i can say for now is that it could be 4am like sabrina and that it will get better :) it always seems to get better eventually, and good luck sorting through advice and ideas and finding one that works! you have the cutest girls ever, and i know they'll figure it out soon for their mama!

Linds said...

I really wish I had some perfect advice for you. I do like what Lacey said, I think that's a good idea. I will look through my book and see if it has any tips about this kind of thing. So sorry! I do think it will get better. At least I hope it does.

Linds said...

Oh, I just thought of something, it may not help. But it has helped us. Olivia was waking up at 6:30 every morning for a while. Not good for me. Anyway I finally realized she was just really hungry. So now we make sure she has something to eat right before bed. Most of the time we give her some instant breakfast. Then we put her to be and she stays full all night and then wakes up around 7:30. So maybe Megan is just really hungry. But maybe not, I don't know. It was just a thought

The Woolner Family said...

6:30am, that would be awesome! I've noticed, though, that it takes time but eventually, both get used to it and can sleep through the other's habits, etc. If all else fails, give them time; I think sharing a room is great for all kids. Sam went through a really rough sleeping spot--it took 10 months for him to get back into a groove (he was waking up twice an hour every hour and then awake for the day at 5am--night terrors). I did a lot of praying and just know The Lord will give you the energy you need no matter how little sleep you get. This too shall pass.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, what about staggering the bedtimes. So put Erika down first and then once she is asleep you can put down Megan. Just a thought.

It does get better eventually they learn you just have to stick to it.

Good Luck