Saturday, December 19, 2009

Our 2yr old is taking over the house..H.E.L.P




I know at first glance of this title, most of you are laughing, or nodding and sighing thinking "oh yes....the terrible two's"...hee hee, ha ha, ..but NO. SERIOUSLY...this is beyond my parenting capabilities...on our way home tonight from dinner at a friends house... I said to Steve "What is wrong with us? ...why don't we have the patience that our friends have with their kids?".....


first off, let me say, Megan never had terrible 2's, or 3's....she did all of her freaking out the first 6mo's and has been easy peasy ever since.

Erika....oh gosh...

Okay...so I need advice. she is wearing me thin. I've figured out one part is that when she doesn't get enough sleep she's definitely worse. so when she doesn't have a nap that is atleast 2.5hrs long she gets over tired and the nightmare begins (like the last 2 days). EVERTHING is a tantrum or a struggle. she screams for every frustration she has and no matter how much I try to remain calm and help her, give her words etc etc..you name it we 've tried it..she still freaks out...at the teensy tinyest things.

if she' s putting on her socks and they're crooked she starts screaming..but if I try to help her she screams even more an then rips them off and runs away. This is only ONE example...it seems like EVERYTHING is like this lately. she hits megan ALL THE TIME, she pushes, she screams, she yells, she stomps,....ugh...it is exhausting just thinking about it.


she'salso taken to pooping in her panties and so I wash her off in a cold bath (don't want to do a warm bath b/c she loves baths and that would be too rewarding)..it seemed to work after about 4 x b/c she didn't do it for about a week but tonight she pooped in her panties again. I knew she had to poop and I warned her that she need to go on the potty but she did it anyway.

at bedtime, we told her there was no bottle b/c she wasn't behaving nicely today...that lead to a 45min melt down which eventually lead to steve and I BOTH having our own meltdowns.

she's taking over our home!!!!!!!!!!! what do we do????????????


I know the Lord expects me to be more patient... but I'm telling you I've TRIED...NOTHING gets through to this girl, she is the most stubborn, strong willed, "I will hold out to the death" type of child i've ever met.


i'm really HOPING someone has something inspiring to share with me b/c i'm at the end of my rope.
The most discouraging part for me is that I ask myself "what if this isn't the terrible two's? what if she's like this she's 18?". I wish I knew for sure this would pass.

thanks for listening....I wish I could put in more detail but hopefully this gives you a general idea.

4 comments:

MotherBeck said...

oh boy, i have been through this with Sam. All the hitting and screaming and everything. My best advice would be to find a parenting book that you like, ( i like playful parenting or 123 magic) pick a method and STICK TO IT for at least two weeks. BE CONSISTENT no matter what you do, if you are whishy washy then she will play you. I'm not saying i am a great mom, I know you know that I'm far from it, but being consistent and keeping your cool are really key. Good luck Nicole, and remember, they get older and it gets easier....i think.

Jessie said...

Nicole,
This sounds a little like what I went through with Sophia, except it is still going on! It takes me up to 30 minutes sometimes to get her dressed. She refuses to and will run away from me. Its so frustrating. She is definitely a "spirited child" and always has been. I remember when people like Amy J. would babysit her and it was time for me to pick her up. She would NOT leave and get in the car. She still wont go to bed when she's suppose to so we've given up (is that bad?) and she goes to bed when we do around 10pm, sometimes 11pm.

Elijah is actually the COMPLETE opposite and its nice to have a change. He is so mellow :)

I guess I don't really have any tips, but just know that you are not alone in this. There are many of us out there with children who aren't so easy to deal with. And then we are blessed with mellow ones!

Nachelle said...

"What if she's like this at 18??" AAAAH!!!! That's an awful thought!

Batman Forever said...

My 10 year old was like this. I thought I would end up with no hair getting through age 2-3. But, it does get better. He is still a very stubborn boy, but we both learned how to deal with each other.
I am now dealing with it all over again with my 3 year old. I laughed out loud when you mentioned the socks. We have that battle almost every day. But I keep up hope that it will get better like it did with Jackson.
Hang in there.