Saturday, July 4, 2009

Half Marathon: Check!

So today was the big day. I thought since i'm terrible at writing in my journal I should try to document the experience and my feelings here.

I have always loved running. When I was 6 my mom put me in a track club and I loved it! I love the race more than anything. There is this adrenaline that is just thrilling. I'm very competitive with myself so I really enjoy the race itself....more than the training. I haven't run since high school but for some reason always had on my life goals to run a marathon some day. ( half or full).
Anyway...I ran very lightly last summer (2mile runs a few nights a week) and then found some wonderfully experienced girls (Sabrina and Valerie) in february to motivate me to start running again. Me and My friend Natalie started running with them and it has been so much fun! I've really come to love these girls and appreciate their friendship and support SO much! They totally belive in me and are ALWAYS encouraging me which means A LOT to me! thank you ladies!!xo

anyway, after our 12K run on May 9th, we decided we wanted to do the Sauvie Island half marathon together (in 6wks time!). So...we started training. these girls are so great! they totally get my butt out of bed 3 times a week at 6am to run and I love it!

Anyway....long introduction. So today was race day. In my training I had 5 long runs: 6 miles, 7, 8, 9, and 10miles. one each week. I was nervous about running 13 as I'd never done it before! My goal was to try to run it at a steady 9min mile pace and finish in 2hrs. I was scared though b/c I just didn't know what my body would do past 10miles........

My problem is, when that buzzer goes off and the race is on, I just can't control myself.....My adrenaline kicks in and i'm off! I kept looking at my garmin forerunner and I was running at a 7:45-8:30pace......(too fast to keep up for 13miles i thought!) by mile 5 I got a burst of energy and ran that mile at a 7:46pace,but by mile 7 I was questioning whether I had pushed myself too hard and if I was going to burn out by mile 10.....I was pushing and pushing but too afraid to go that extra mile b/c I didn't know how long I could keep it up for. at mile 9, a group of 4 women passed me. my pace was at about 8:30 but I just didn't feel like I could go ANY faster....I was scared but decided to test my limits and see what I was made of, so to speak. Risking that I might burn out, i pushed a bit harder and got down to about a 8:15mile. by mile 10, my legs started to go numb. My feet were blistering and I was nervous.....

"You can't quit, you're NOT a quitter!" I told myself over and over. "this is the hardest thing I've ever done" i said to myself, only to hear myself respond back, " no it's not! you birthed a 10lb baby naturally, you can do this Nicole!" (LOL). A few times I actually had this weirdchill run through my body that gave me goose bumps and had to hold back tears. I knew I was pushing myself harder than I knew my body was capable of and I was SO tired. I just wanted to stop and walk.
I have run 4miles before at a 7:45 pace but running at a fast pace (for me) for 13 miles is a totally different story!!

by mile 11 and 12 I had to start running with my arms. It's hard to explain but I had to really pump my arms to keep my momentum going and to keep my legs moving b/c I just could'nt feel the muscles in my legs anymore or control them. I dropped to a 8:45mile for miles 12 and 13 but I didn't quit and I was REALLY working to stay below a 9min mile at that point.

when I was about a quarter mile from the finish I saw Steve and Megan and Erika, Megan's eyes were big as saucers and I waved and yelled out "Hi baby!!" as I rounded the corner to the finish.
I saw the time and somehow sprinted those last 50feet! I thought my legs were going to give out after I crossed the finish line...but they didn't!
My goal was 2hrs, UNDER 2hrs, even if just by a second. My actual finishing time was:
1hr 49min 24sec
My average pace was 8:21
I placed 109th out of 1162 women!
and I placed 29th out of 236 women in my age group (30-34yrs old).


I certainly exceeded my own expectations and yet within 10min was already wishing I could have done it faster! that is the competitive side of me. I always want to beat my last time:)
I know, however that I pushed as hard as I could at that time those last 2 miles. I really don't think my body could have gone any faster. I feel optimistic though....my goal is to eventually be able to run that at a steady 7:30 or 7:45 pace and I think if i train, some time in the next few years I can accomplish it:)
I'm glad that I took a risk. There was a big chance that by pushing myself that hard I WOULD burn out, but I did it and when my body WANTED to burn out, I just wouldn't let it. I'm learning as I get older that I really can do anything I put my mind to. The human spirit is a very powerful thing. I did pray while I was running too I should mention:) and I prayed before my race and I know the Lord helped me accomplish my goals.

It feels good to check a life goal off my list but I'm not done with running yet:) The race will keep calling me back for more:)

I STILL don't have that yearning to run a full marathon. running 26miles? hmm.....MAYBE in a few more years and after a few more half's we'll SEE. No promises Val!!;) haha.

Here are pictures from the race: (our computer is broken so I don't have a calibrated monitor and have no idea how the color will look on your end, so sorry!)

Here I come:)

I see my family...what a relief!


waving at Megan

sprinting to the finish!!

Valerie, me and Sabrina. WE missed you Natalie!!!
*Natalie injured her knee and couldn't run. we were so sad!

With our medals for completing the race

I love you girls!!!

Lee, Valerie and baby Jackson

Kevin, Sabrina and baby Kaleb


Me and my girls


Me and my best friend in the whole world!
* can I also say Thank you to my wonderful husband for always getting up early and trecking 2 little girls by himself to these races...it is NOT an easy job, I love you Steve!

14 comments:

Toshia said...

You rock! I still can't get over the fact that my 48 yr old mother did this today too:) I would have died. So impressive Nicole...you are amazing!!

Matthias and Jenn said...

wow amazinging! that is just amazing! I love it Nicole. But I was just out of breath reading about it. Great job...you totally should be proud of yourself!

MotherBeck said...

Can i get a woot woot!!!! Awesome job Nicole!! I wish that one day I can run with you. Way to go!!!!!

Brooke Snow said...

You are awesome!!!!!!! Way to go! What a great determination and diligence! I'm super proud of you! You're a great example and inspiration to me!

Sabby said...

Great job lady! It was a great race and afun day!

Lee and Valerie Gunther said...

Thanks so much for posting this blog, it was really inspiring. I have enjoyed training with you and running our races, thanks for all your support.

lynz said...

awwww - you girls just give me goosebumps! that is so freakin awesome, and i'm so proud of you guys :) nicole - you look amazing and the pics are so stinkin cute, and awesome work on pushing yourself so hard!!!! woohoo for another check off the list!

Linds said...

Wowee!! That is AWESOME!! You are amazing. I really don't think I could do that. But I think you are awesome for doing it.

Lacey said...

I WANT TO LEARN TO LOVE RUNNING! You need to take me under your wing and get me to this point. I can't imagine how great it must feel to accomplish somthing like this, Great work!

Nicole W. said...

Lacey! you know I will. If you want it, i'll totally get you running!! plus we need more running partners:):)
let me know when you're ready!
xo

Jeff and Amy said...

Way to go Nicole!!! As soon as I have these babies I am going to get out and start running again. Reading your post makes me miss running sooooo bad!

sharon said...

I am always proud of every little thing you do Nicole! But the fact that you accomplished this goal is very inspiring to everyone! I told you God would be the wind at your back. There's a reason why you were my "spirited child"
love you tons, mommyxoxoxoxoxoxo

Joshua and Joy said...

It's funny that you love running so much. It's like one of the things I hate most to do. But I'm so impressed that you can run that well. You are a model for staying in shape.

deette said...

you rock my dear!! i'm so proud of you and wished, sometimes, i had the determination to run. but then again, i love my walks!!!!!