Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Dark, Rainy night, a Flat Tire and Lots of Love......



So.......I learned how to change a flat tire tonight,on a back road, in the rain, in the dark. Fun:)
Let me explain.....
The last few days Steve has been bugging me about buying the battery pack grip for his 5D camera. He found one on Craigslist for a great deal and has asked me every day for the past 3 days. I kept saying "no, we don't have the money" which we don't..Buuuuuttt....I have a soft spot for the guy...what can I say? So I hi-jacked his email to get the email to the craigslist guy and called him up. Then tonight I told him I was headed out to MAC to buy some makeup but really I went downtown to meet this guy at starbucks to buy the grip for him:)
I was so proud of my secret mission and was driving home thinking of how I was going to save it for a time when he was mad at me as a "get out of jail free card" so to speak:):) ( I was partially kidding......)

I came off the 181st exit and turned into the lot between the burger king and gas station...it leads to the back road (short cut) to get home. I saw the pot hole( I mean like a foot deep) this thing REALLY needs to get fixed...I always drive around it but I was distracted and accidentally drove INTO it! bang, thump..OH CRAP.... thump, thump, thump.....I turned onto the back road and realized I must have a flat tire. I pulled over and got out and sure enough...completely FlAT!

I called Steve and told him I was too scared to walk all that way home in the dark on the back roads. So , I called Lacey (oops and woke her up! she's lovin' me right now)....so she came over and leant Steve her car to come help me.
When he arrived..I was awaiting the worst....he's gonna be SO mad at me I thought...not only do we NOT have money for a new RIM AND TIRE (yes, I busted the rim too!!) but he's super stressed with exams and assignments......and surely doesn't need to be coming out at 10pm b/c of his wifes neglegence.
I kept thinking ' It's a damn good thing I have this battery grip to give him !! lol'

Anyway...he arrived and he was not loud or angry...he just simply told me
"well...I think you should have to change this tire" (I kinda figured he'd make me do it)..
so, without complaining, I changed my first tire ever. In the rain, in the cold.
I felt pretty proud of myself actually:).....
Atleast now I know if i'm ever stuck far from home alone with a flat tire, I'll be able to fix it myself:)

When I got finished..I had a thought and a feeling.

I said "Steve, if I was 16 right now and you were my dad, I would really love you".

It made me fast forward 12yrs to when megan is 16 and sure enough she'll do silly things...I was so proud of how Steve handled it. Not only did he teach me how to fix a flat tire, but he was not critical or angry at me about it...and surely he could have been.

He is such a great father and wonderful husband. I love you Steve. thanks for not getting mad at me for a really dumb mistake. I knew the pot hole was there, I should have been more careful.

Tonight, my love for you increased 10 fold.
xo

p.s I gave him the battery pack when we got home...he loved it:)

p.p.s LACEY....thank you for coming over when you wanted to be sleeping in bed. you're such a GREAT friend and all you do for me does not go unnoticed:)

14 comments:

Brooke Snow said...

Steve's gonna LOVE that battery pack! I can't get enough of mine! Happy picture taking Steve!

Joshua and Joy said...

I'm glad everything turned out so well.

Katie said...

like i told you, it totally made me cry as i was thinking of you two out in the rain, him being calm and teaching you a lesson, and then you expressing your love for him. dude, i must be getting old looking into all this :) and NO I'm NOT!!!! pregers.

Nicole W. said...

that's what you think K, we'll see in a month or so!
LOL

Katie said...

yeah when my period comes yet again.....tmi sorry :)

Linds said...

That's quite the story. Glad he was such a nice husband and helped you. And kudos to you for changing the tire. I've seen that pothole, it's HUGE!! Anyway, glad you're alive!

Jeff and Amy said...

Ha ha, serves you right :) j/k. At least you were really close to home and had a loving husband ready to help. When I had my first flat I was young, single, living in a new area and late for school. So I had to pull out the owner's manual and have at it. Anyway, glad it turned out well!!

mcdltdsy said...

WOW.. quite the expedition!!! I'm so proud of you. A beautiful, smart woman who can handle herself in all situations:) I'm glad you are my friend. And yes, you are lucky. Steve is a good man, a good father and a good husband. But he also has an amazing wife so that makes him the luckiest of all

The Hill Family said...

So sorry about your bad luck! But so glad that you guys are okay!! Things could've turned out a lot worse for sure!! Good job for changing that tire!! My dad wouldn't let me drive until I was able to change a tire, change the coolent, and put oil in the car!!

The Hill Family said...

So sorry about your bad luck! But so glad that you guys are okay!! Things could've turned out a lot worse for sure!! Good job for changing that tire!! My dad wouldn't let me drive until I was able to change a tire, change the coolent, and put oil in the car!!

Tracey said...

It truly amazes me how you always have things to write about on your blog, and it's good stuff! Nothing boring! It shows how eventful your life is,lol!!
Good job steve on being patient and not getting upset. You two balance eachother out so well!
Love Tracey

The Woolner Family said...

Good for you. I only know how to change a tire in theory. I make Chad do it for me since he worked at Les Schwab for a time.

Lacey said...

I would not get up for just anyone!!! I was super tired but.. your worth getting out of bed fpr. Plus now you owe me big! lol!

MotherBeck said...

I'm surprised I didn't comment on this a while ago..anyway what I would have said was..

Can I get a woot woot for Nicole!! You are awesome!